Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thankful

In thinking about what I am thankful for I was reminded of something that happened to me a little while back.

I always try to give blood when the Bloodmobile comes to where I work. My religion was founded by a blood donor after all. When you give blood they give you these really nifty armbands in really bright pastel colors to hold the little ball of cotton to your arm. Waste not want not, I guess.

Also, I have started wearing my hair really short. Like in the jelly picture. I started out with it almost bald. It makes getting ready for work much quicker not having to mess with hair.

Anyway, after I gave blood Alice Ann wanted to meet for dinner at our favorite restaurant - On the Border. We are sitting there talking after eating our fajitas, and a lady comes up to me and says, "Hang in there, I have been where you are now." At first I thought she was referring to being very satisfied with a great Tex Mex dinner, but she went on, "I too was in chemo for three years."

I replied that I wasn't in chemo but just gave blood and liked my hair short. Then I asked how she was and praised the Lord that she was totally clean from cancer after all this time.

Then, yesterday I was talking to a guy I work with on my new project at work. He is 29 and lost his wife last year to ovarian cancer. They battled it for four years. I was talking to my insurance agent on Monday, she lost her husband of many many years to cancer back in April.

You asked what I am thankful for, well tonight I will snuggle up next to the most wonderful woman in the world as I have for 17 years. God only knows what tomorrow will bring but we have been healthy and together for many years.

So I am thankful for what I have and what I don't have.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Broadus said...

That is a great thing for which to be thankful.
Your story reminds me of a time I cut my hair really REALLY short--like almost bald. I went to church at Lakewood and people, including Pastor Osteen's daughter Lisa, came up to me and wanted to pray for me, thinking I had undergone chemo. I told them I had just got clipped a little more than I had planned.
Later Pastor Osteen walked up, looked me strait in the eye, and said "Don't ever do that again."

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home