Saturday, January 10, 2009

Armed and Dangerous � Blog Archive � The Politics of Lexicography, or How To Become Normative Without Really Trying

For you English major types:

Armed and Dangerous � Blog Archive � The Politics of Lexicography, or How To Become Normative Without Really Trying: "The Politics of Lexicography, or How To Become Normative Without Really Trying

One of many hats I wear is that of a lexicographer. In 1990 I began maintaining the Jargon File, still available on my website and released as three paper editions in 1991, 1993, and 1996. At the time, I was a bit nervous about what I might learn if a “real” lexicographer ever showed up to critique the work. Would I be toold that my efforts were amateurish, shoddy, and marred by methodological error?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Forgive me for being easily confused, but is that your blog or just someone that you find interesting? The article was interesting, but for a few typographical errors. But from what I learned from my study of internet vernacular as it pertains specifically to the the MMORPG, World of Warcraft, typographical errors can quickly and easily become lingo. Anyway if it is your blog way to go and if it not your blog then who do I say "way to go" to? LOL

In a related topic: if anyone is interested in reading my essay "WOW Socialect" I'd be happy to post it or email it. :)

Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And leave it to me to put a typo in my comment about typos. :P I meant to say "if it is not" rather than "if it not." And I think I should have used "whom" rather than "who" but who(m) knows or cares anymore? LOL

Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do.

Granny

Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Russell Snow said...

Ashley,
It is not my blog. I thought it interesting.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger David Broadus said...

I care.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home