Just When You Think You Have Seen It All
This morning about 6:00 AM my cat, Lucy, wanted out, so I dutifully got up and propped the door open for her and went back to bed. About an hour later I hear some playful sounds in my bedroom, so I got up to see what was going on, and immediately see Lucy, which was strange, as she normally goes across the street and stays away for hours.
I realized she had brought home a critter and was playing with it. But, when I looked closer there appeared to be a block of wood over it. Then it hit me, and I turned over the wood slab to confirm my suspicions. She had found a mouse in someone's trap and drug it all home—mouse, mousetrap, and all. She was so proud of herself. Frankly, I thought it was pathetic. What kind of a hunter has to drag home something caught in someone else's trap?!
Of course, the mouse is dead now, so I have dead mouse and trap to dispose of. I would return the trap to it's rightful owner if I had a clue where she found it.
Speaking of Cats, I found this clip from an old (1985) Prarie Home Companion show. The guest was Willie Nelson, and that was around the time that Willie had teamed up with Julio Iglesias to record the duet For All the Girls I've Loved Before. For the PHC show, Willie teamed up with Johnny Gimble and did a slight variation titled For All The Cats I've Known Before. You can access the archived show and play it for yourself by clicking here. Anyone who has a cat or cats should appreciate the lyrics.
Sung to the tune of For All the Girls I’ve Loved Before
For all the cats I’ve known before
Who wanted to come in my door
And then they turned around
And wanted to go out
So they could come back in once more
To all the cats I once caressed
And scratched them up and down the neck
Did I scream because
I felt a set of claws
Start marching up my naked chest
To all the cats who shed their hair
And tripped me as I went downstairs
And left a you-know-what
Lying on the rug
And scratched up all my easy chairs
To all the cats I’ve every known
I hope you find another home
And if you think you might
Come see me, I’m all right
I think I’d rather be alone
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home